Sacrifices VS Distractions - Sis



“I done made sacrifices, so many sacrifices
I done gave up so much free time knowing time ain’t free”
Sacrifices
Big Sean ft Migos

Sacrifices can be linked all the way back to the biblical era when families would offer or sacrifice an animal as a religious practices. Sacrifices are a loss or something you give up to achieve another goal. Big Sean describes sacrifices he has made in his hip hop song quoted above while achieving a successful career. It is clear that we all make sacrifices and most likely, they are also a part of your financial journey.

Distractions are anything that takes your attention away from giving your full self into a task. Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue, at least I remember the song going like that, looking for trade a trade route to India. Quoted below he talks about prevailing over all obstacles to arrive at his goal. We all have distractions in our lives that can set us back on our financial journey.

“By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination” - Christopher Columbus

What do the two have in common? One must be able to distinguish the difference between sacrifices and distractions in our lives. I drive a 2006 Toyota Highlander. I have my second child on the way. Some family members have questioned if I should get a new car. Is a new car a distraction or sacrifice pertaining to my financial goals? To me, it would be a distraction. I don’t need the navigation screen or all the other bells or whistles.  The key to me, is that I am not sacrificing my families safety for financial gain. My car is very safe, well taken care of, and I can trust it will get me from point A-To-B. A new car would be a financial distraction.

This is the question I ask myself when pondering financial choices. You can apply this to a candy bar at the store or buying fresh veggies for your family. Ask yourself, am I making a sacrifice or is this a distraction? Bro’s wife buys store brands and in bulk to save. This is her sacrifice to saving her family money on a weekly grocery bill. She is not distracted by commercials or brands, but she will spend extra on fresh veggies to help nourish her kids. Bro’s family has ask where can we make sacrifices and what items are distractions at the grocery store? This questions can be applied to any financial decision.

Small sacrifices now will add up to living  your desired life. One must not let distractions set you back or get in your way. Ask yourself the simple question, is this worth the sacrifice or a distraction?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FU vs FEveryone Money - Bro

Why I FI - Bro

Surviving VS Thriving - Sis